[dns-operations] CoDoNS and the future of Internet governance (Was: DNS Ops Pre-NANOG Meeting

Andrew Sullivan andrew at ca.afilias.info
Fri May 12 11:55:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 09:53:59AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> with allocation but not with resolution, like Afilias for ".org".]

<hat=afilias>

That isn't actually quite accurate, for two reasons:

1.	Afilias performs the technical services for .org, but we're
not actually the registry operator.  That's Public Interest Registry.
(We are the registry operator for .info, though.)

2.	Afilias is responsible for the resolution: for any cases
where we're doing technical services for a registry, including one we
operate, one of the services we agree to is the DNS.  We subcontract
some DNS services.  Just like any subcontracting relationship,
however, the responsibility remains with us.

</hat>

Having performed my duty to my employer, I'll also point out that I
think M. Bortzmeyer is substantially right: the issues of contractual
obligation and technical effects are probably not that tightly bound.
I'd be interested in arguments to the contrary, though.

----
<andrew at ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110