[dns-operations] CoDoNS and the future of Internet governance (Was: DNS Ops Pre-NANOG Meeting

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri May 12 14:51:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 07:40 -0700, David Ulevitch wrote:
[..]
> That's good and bad -- it has scaled well technically
> but now we see areas where DNS implementations and the domain name
> system is falling short --

> open recursive nameservers,

Which is an administrative problem.

> lack of serious security in many implementations,

Upgrade or replace them -> administrative problem.

>  failure of ICANN to do what
> many believe is its role, the "real estate" grab of domain names that
> cause like every domain I type in to be a parked page loading google
> ads, etc, etc.

People want to earn money, by parking they clearly earn money.

Some people still think that DNS is the way to resources objects on the
internet, most people simply google or lately also google(wiki <word>)
works pretty well.

That there are many companies registering <product-xyzwabdf>.com|net|...
because otherwise their product can't be found is their stupitity, they
can easily, hierarchically have it at company.com/products/product. No
need to register zillions of domains, but they are cheap, thus why not?

This is also again an administrative though more a policy issue.
But none of them is a technical problem of DNS in itself.

DNSSEC is a correct next step which will take some time but will happen
sooner or later (at least I hope ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen