[dns-operations] CoDoNS and the future of Internet governance (Was: DNS Ops Pre-NANOG Meeting

Andrew Sullivan andrew at ca.afilias.info
Fri May 12 14:53:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 07:40:46AM -0700, David Ulevitch wrote:
> grand system (a replacement of DNS) to run cooperatively in a non-
> hierarchical fashion by multiple operators and implementors then you
> have created a far more egalitarian system than the current DNS
> provides.  Is that a step forwards or backwards?  It sounds pretty

Do we need a replacement of DNS for this?  Delegation information
still needs to come from one place, I'd say, because the race
conditions inherent in having more than one authority (even
co-operatively managed) would be at the very least frustrating to
users.  But once the delegation information is updated, would it be
enough for that to go to more than one DNS operator with more than
one code base running in more than one location?

> years gives me the feeling that what we have today is partially a
> result of realizing that the DNS needs evolutionary rather than
> revolutionary changes if one wants adoption and progress.  Don't

I couldn't agree more.

----
<andrew at ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110