[dns-operations] If I were the suspicioustype....(was:DNSAmplification Attacks)

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Fri Mar 24 01:43:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:10:29 -0600, "John Palmer (NANOG Acct)"
<nanog at adns.net> said:
> We aren't talking about private resources, we are talking about
> publically available resources.

To block all public recursive servers in practise means to make this a
private resource, regardless of which root servers are pointing at.

> Thats like telling me that I should
> not be able to operate a public website on port 80 becuase of
> some nebulous security risk, when you are really just saying that
> you don't like the content of my website and are trying to make
> excuses not to let me operate it on a well-known port  in order
> to make it almost invisible to the average internet user.

There's no censorship. All are treated equal. Alternative-root-operators
are free to compete with ICANNs root and offer their services to anyone
running a resolver. They can give people an option, but can not make the
choice for them. Thus, alt-root is irrelevant to this thread.

//per
--
  Per Heldal
  http://heldal.eml.cc/