[dns-operations] "it's like having a pizza delivered to a friend's house as a prank."

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Thu Mar 23 07:40:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:25:01 +0000, "Paul Vixie" <paul at vix.com> said:
> # > ... http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/03/the_real_threat.html
> #
> # "Without any meaningful government regulation, such changes must be
> made
> # on a voluntary basis"
> #
> # Sounds like an invitation for "Be careful what you ask for, you might
> # get it" to meet the Law of Unintended Consequences.
>
> industry doesn't appear willing to police itself when the economics are
> so
> unfavourable.  if we want near-bankrupt ISP's to invest money in training
> and upgrades and infrastructure where the only result will be that their
> competitors' customers save money, we'll need a stick rather than a
> carrot.

Don't forget that a "carrot" to some is a "stick" to others. Maybe it's
better to approach the problem from a different angle than the ISP in
the case of bcp38 compliance. What if a significant group of those who
are hurt the most from attacks (content- and hosting-providers)
cooperate to distribute probes, collect data and take active measures
against non-compliant networks? It shouldn't take much to convince ISP's
to filter if the cost related to such filtering is minor.  Blocked
access to the likes of Google, Yahoo and Hotmail should make wonders ...
 Previous research indicate that about 2/3 already are compliant. That
makes this an even more powerful stick against the remaining 1/3.

//per
--
  Per Heldal
  http://heldal.eml.cc/