[dns-operations] "it's like having a pizza delivered to a friend's house as a prank."

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Wed Mar 22 21:25:01 UTC 2006

# > ... http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/03/the_real_threat.html
#
# "Without any meaningful government regulation, such changes must be made
# on a voluntary basis"
#
# Sounds like an invitation for "Be careful what you ask for, you might
# get it" to meet the Law of Unintended Consequences.

industry doesn't appear willing to police itself when the economics are so
unfavourable.  if we want near-bankrupt ISP's to invest money in training
and upgrades and infrastructure where the only result will be that their
competitors' customers save money, we'll need a stick rather than a carrot.

it'd be lovely if the industry could react from fear of regulation, but even
if there was a credible threat of regulation, industries do not react from
fear, since their fear that their competitors will stand firm outweighs
their fear of what the government might do.

"these ARE the unintended consequences that your mother warned you about."