[dns-operations] practical alternatives?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Mar 7 03:36:39 UTC 2006

>    Forgive my  ignorance about what is actualy possible
> or practical to do at this time... But if we were to assume
> that there is a real need for people to use remote name servers
> to do recursive lookups for them. Then we also assume it's not
> practicle to have people run name servers on their local machines
> that in turn would use TSIG.  (because it take significant amounts
> of user configuration that your typical internet user isn't ready
> for)...

	It's not that hard.

key "recursion" {
        algorithm "hmac-md5";
        secret "xxxxxxxx";
};

server 1.2.3.4 {
	key recursion;
}

options {
	forwarders { 1.2.3.4; }
	forward only;
};

	Long term it should end up something like.

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 1.2.3.4
tsig hmac-md5 recursion "xxxxxxxx"

	This has all the servers using the same TSIG which should be ok.
	res_sendsigned() is written with this model in mind.