[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Fri Mar 3 18:43:55 UTC 2006

> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 06:17:55AM -0500, Geo. wrote:
>> It's been the root of a lot of problems, smurf, the sqlslammer
>> worm, etc.
>> That's really the root of this problem as well and I don't know of
>> anything
>> that will break if we get rid of the ability to spoof. The problem
>> of a few

SQL Slammer didn't rely upon spoofed packets to propagate (and thus
cause a collateral DDoS due to its aggressive propagation
characteristics); if there was any spoofed Slammer traffic at all, I
didn't see it.

This isn't an argument against BCP38, I strongly support its
deployment - just a clarification wrt Slammer.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

      Everything has been said.  But nobody listens.

                    -- Roger Shattuck