[dns-operations] What is the most pressing need for DNS these days?

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Jun 27 21:18:30 UTC 2006

At 22:41 +0200 6/27/06, Peter Dambier wrote:

>And there is no need to switch roots either. Just include some stub zones
>and you are done.

>As important pointers, maybe even a copy of the rootzone will be
>stored on the local routers, there is no more need for DNSSEC either.

>Really important zone informations should be exchanged by secure
>means between partners. No way to poison it from outside.

I'm not about to get into "what is the correct root of the DNS" etc.,
etc.  And it's not worth debating whether this stuff "works" although
I know it is tempting for some.  (Life's too short to me.)

The way I see this is that my web browser can't resolve names in the
example TLD (Chinese) "company" (gong1 si1, aka XN--55QX5D) because
my browser isn't being told about the servers offering that domain.
This is because I'm using the default configurations.  Rightly or
wrongly, to access these zones a person would have to expend more
time/money/resources to access these servers in the form of adding
forward zones and such.

As a protocol engineer, the question is, what can ease this pain?
All I can imagine is reinventing the wheel here as there is already a
protocol mechanism for having the (ICANN, default to me) root
delegate this to the example servers.  (I.e., NS records.)  Is this
not sufficient, technically?  I am aware there are policy things
going on, but that can't be solved by the protocol engineers.

What can be done in the protocol?
NeuStar

Soccer/Futbol. IPv6.  Both have lots of 1's and 0's and have a hard time
catching on in North America.

That tournament in Germany.  What's all the fuss?  (Get it? "fuss?")