[dns-operations] Shameless plug for our Zonecheck software (Was: af.mil DNS issue

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Sat Jul 1 18:01:34 UTC 2006

On 1 jul 2006, at 17.46, John Payne wrote:

> Couple of comments here too...

Of course :-)

> Is it necessary to try each MX for EVERY nameserver?    24 attempts
> to get mail to an SOA email address seems excessive.

This is a known issue.

Of course it should only try each combination of email address and
RDATA in MX once. It only tries once if the SMTP connection works.

> Also, if you're going to be reporting mail failures, you really
> should learn the difference between tempfail (like in the case of
> greylisting) and real failures.

Yeah..., I just saw this. Not earlier a known bug...but now it is.
Thanks!

What do you think the correct solution is?

Say ok for 4xx errors, and only say "bad" on 5xx?

> I think zonecheck only tried each MX once, but still didn't grok
> tempfail.
>
> And this is aimed at zonecheck, I have issues with a _DNS_ checker
> running open relay tests...

A test on nameserver <-> AS relationship is currently turned off, but
will be turned on when the new version is ready.

    Patrik