[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Feb 27 22:04:05 UTC 2006

> >>Gadi,
> >>
> >>I'm unclear on what you are suggesting. What problem is left unattended with
> >>DNS if you cannot spoof UDP packets?
> >

> > It's the old
> >
> > "We must do SOMETHING!" + "This is something" => "We must do THIS!"
> >
> > As much as I believe in belt and suspenders, I only believe in that when
> > both the belt and the suspenders are appropriate solutions.
>
> Sorry Joe, I'm just not following.
>
> Can you explain why trying to resolve the local exploit when the attack

Ahh, there we go, I like that.  Change the terms to suit the argument.

Open recursers are not a "local exploit."

> was facilitated by a remote exploit is not also important? Especially
> when the remote one is relatively a whole lot more difficult?
>
> I am not saying band-aids are THE THING. I am saying they are THE THING
> when you need to stop the bleeding NOW.

Well, have fun then, because you won't be stopping that bleeding anytime
soon.  There are just *TOO* *MANY* of them.  Death by a million paper cuts
or something like that.

If you want change, it's easier to target a smaller number of bigger
things (i.e. networks and their operating policies) than a huge number
of smaller things (recursers).

... JG