[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Mon Feb 27 21:50:49 UTC 2006

Geo. wrote:
>>Both George and Joe are right. It is a problem. Still, solving one and
>>leaving another untended just because one was used as the attack vector
>>is silly. Are we to forever leave problem unattended?
>

> Gadi,
>
> I'm unclear on what you are suggesting. What problem is left unattended with
> DNS if you cannot spoof UDP packets?

Recursive servers. There is no reason why this can't be abused in other
means. ping -f was pretty interesting in the day.

No?

If we stop being mathematicians for a second trying to understand how
everything works and making it work better, and be physicists and throw
more computing power at it (a bigger botnet) one can potentially, using
this or some other means, cause some pretty serious damage.

Spoofing just makes this attack "pretty" and a whole lot more efficient.