[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Feb 27 18:14:13 UTC 2006

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:50:09AM -0600, Joe Greco wrote:
> > And, from the answer side of things, it is kind of too bad that there is
> > no way for a client to signal back "I didn't ask you that question", or
> [...]
>
> Generally not a very useful thing for a UDP-based application.  If it
> was indeed even the sender, it would have already forgotten what it is
> that you said you didn't ask for.  :-)

It might have, it might not.  That's really the choice of the coder.  I do
know that we do some forms of failure caching in the online gaming world,
so that servers don't need to work so hard doing expensive session
initiations.  For example, servers will temporarily ignore IP addresses
sending streams of initiation requests after sending a few replies, because
a common failure mode is for a stupid "router/nat" to not handle the return
replies properly.

... JG