[dns-operations] ``Ya.com says "The internet is mine" ''

Whelton, Bob Bob.Whelton at qwest.com
Thu Aug 31 17:16:21 UTC 2006

I have a philosophical question for the readers involved in this thread,
as a matter of curiosity about the perception of the community towards
the ISP in regards to being a profitable company...

Would you welcome such types of service if:
  1) you were given the choice to opt-out,
  2) this provided a way for the ISP to get a share of the immense
revenue (estimated at over $18 billion within the next 5 years) being
generated by the search site advertisers (Google, Yahoo, etc.) via the
network resources of the ISP,
  3) and such revenue would enable the ISP to turn a necessary liability
into something profitable so that they are better able to invest in the
quality and security of their network, which in the end benefits the
consumer?

This model is similar to television where the broadcaster is able to
provide the service free to the consumer by receiving a share of the
advertising revenue.

Respectfully curious,

Robert Whelton