[dns-operations] PowerDns Recursive Daemon

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Thu Aug 31 02:38:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Paul Vixie wrote:

> switching hats for a moment, is there anything isc could do to make bind9
> more useful or attractive to you?  granted that we make no money from the
> software itself (only development and support contracts), i'm nevertheless
> concerned about any reasons you'd have for switching away from it.

The ability to answer directly from a transactional database that
spoke SQL was why PowerDNS was selected to replace BIND at the
client where I built out a service around it.

Now, the whole SQL thing makes it hard to push huge amounts of
queries per second, but makes it easy to scale horizontally without
worrying about coherency.

I'll let someone else address the benefits of using some other more
lightweight form of db instead of zonefiles.

matto

   Moral indignation is a technique to endow the idiot with dignity.
                                                 - Marshall McLuhan