[dns-operations] PowerDns Recursive Daemon

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Aug 31 02:08:20 UTC 2006

> Anybody have much experience with the PowerDNS recursive Daemon?
>
> Performance , reliability , commercial support etc?

since it's gpl and there are bsd alternatives, i don't run it anywhere.
but the author's a smart guy and it's easy to believe that the support
and documentation and software he offers is top notch.

> I'm thinking about using it on multi-CPU Solaris/Sparc machines handling a
> few thousand queries per second each as a possible replacement for bind9.
> The other option would probably be Nominum[1] caching server.

switching hats for a moment, is there anything isc could do to make bind9
more useful or attractive to you?  granted that we make no money from the
software itself (only development and support contracts), i'm nevertheless
concerned about any reasons you'd have for switching away from it.