[dns-operations] DNS .com/.net resolution problems in the Asia/Pacific region

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 18:18:57 UTC 2023

Hi,

sorry to dredge this back up, but I just want to give anyone the chance to
object.

My read of what Viktor and others have indicated here is that, when a
validating resolver receives a response with expired rrsigs, it's okay (and
encouraged?) for that resolver to treat that as an invalid response and
retry against other nameservers, similarly to how it would handle a REFUSED
or SERVFAIL response from an authority (i.e. with similar care to limit
retry storms).

The purpose of this is so that a single stale pop or authoritative host
would not cause an outage to dnssec signed domains, as resolvers will retry
against others.

I'd like to reach out to NLNet about changing Unbound to do this, so I want
to make sure people have a chance to disagree.  Feel free to voice your
disagreement (and reasons) here if you do.

Gavin