[dsc] upload-prep.pl / documentation inconsistencies - collector

Stuart Browne stuart.browne at ausregistry.com.au
Mon Jul 13 23:04:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Stuart Browne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found whilst following the instructions, there was an issue with the 'upload-prep.pl' routine the documentation states to use.
>
> The documentation states:
>
> % set prefix=/usr/local/dsc
> % mkdir $prefix/run
> % mkdir $prefix/run/ns0
> % mkdir $prefix/run/ns0/upload
> % mkdir $prefix/run/ns0/upload/oarc
> % mkdir $prefix/run/ns0/upload/archive
>
> The upload-prep.pl unfortunately only looks:
>
> /usr/local/dsc/etc/*.conf:
>  run_dir "/usr/local/dsc/run";

Hi Stuart,

Following the above example, the idea is that you should put:

    run_dir "/usr/local/dsc/run/ns0";

into your dsc.conf.

I see that the dsc.conf.sample file does not have any node name
on the sample run_dir line.  Do you think it would help if the
dsc.conf.sample said this instead?:

    run_dir "/usr/local/dsc/run/NODENAME";

DW

Either that, or possibly just a better explanation of what the 'run_dir' is used for.

The current description states the 'dsc' directory is where the XMl files and the core dumps will go, not that it should be the per-instance/node directory beneath that.

Thanks for the clarification.

Stuart

PS.  Just wondering, would you be interested in the RPM package I'm building?