[dns-operations] __p_rcode() deprecated? (glibc/Suse)

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Oct 5 17:50:26 UTC 2024

* Paul Vixie via dns-operations:

> Can someone from glibc (as experienced via Suse Leap 15.6) self-identify so
> that we can discuss some changes to /usr/include/resolv.h ?
>
>> const char *  p_class (int) __THROW __RESOLV_DEPRECATED;
>> const char *  p_time (uint32_t) __THROW __RESOLV_DEPRECATED;
>> const char *  p_type (int) __THROW __RESOLV_DEPRECATED;
>> const char *  p_rcode (int) __THROW __RESOLV_DEPRECATED;
>
> These and some other now-deprecated symbols are in fairly wide use.

These aren't thread-safe and have not been updated since circa 2000.

Widely-used seems a bit of an exaggeration.  The names are somewhat
common, so Debian Code Search is not directly useful:

  <http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=%5B%5E%3E.%22%5D%5Cbp_%28class%7Ctime%7Ctype%7Crcode%29%5Cs*%5C%28&literal=0&perpkg=1&page=8>

Apparently, there is a use of p_rcode in a piece of software called
prads.  But beyond that, I couldn't spot any actual uses.

I don't see anything in the Fedora ELF symbols, either.

You didn't mention res_opcodes for some reason …