[dns-operations] DNSbomb attack

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Wed May 29 11:18:54 UTC 2024

Hi Joe,

I hear you, the other side of the noise is that regular DNS people hear the noise and this makes the implementors to fix even marginal bugs because we can’t afford to not fix them. This especially applies to the wide range of bugs that makes the resolver to do more work.

We now have an internal threshold and if the amplification (how many outgoing DNS messages for on incoming) is around 100, we just don’t care.

If it’s 1000 or runaway then sure, but the complexity of interactions between delegations and redirections is complex and catching all the corner cases would increase internal complexity, so reasonable total limits should catch anything beyond.

My personal perception is those are class of attacks that only researchers are interested in including the “ah, looks like fun, let’s mess with my ISP’s resolver” kind of.

There are cheaper and easier ways to abuse DNS than setup a complex web of custom DNS servers with carefully crafted records…

I mean I am happy that we get these kind of reports, but sometimes it’s overwhelming. And sometimes it’s just clearly visible that the goal is the research/paper/poster/conference and not improving the overall security of DNS as the report rarely comes with a proposed fix.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)