[dns-operations] DNS Operations

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 08:57:13 UTC 2024

On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 1:53 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming via
dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:

> As I checked with ChatGPT, it says ISC BIND DNS Server is the most popular DNS server software in the world.

I'm guessing that "most popular" is what most home users use - which
seems to be pi-hole

If you want to define "most popular" as what the root servers use then
maybe NSD:
$ cat root-server-types
#!/bin/bash
# what software are the root servers running?
grep -o . <<< "abcdefghijklm" | while read X ; do
  printf "%s\t" ${X}.root-servers.net.
  printf "%s\n" "$(dig -c ch -t txt version.bind
@${X}.root-servers.net. +short)"
done

If you want to define "most popular" as DNS servers accessible on the
Internet, I'd kind of like to know too.  Maybe bind, maybe not.. I
dunno.

Regards,
Lee