[dns-operations] cdc.gov Contact

Joe Abley jabley at strandkip.nl
Mon Jul 29 21:55:32 UTC 2024

On 29 Jul 2024, at 17:13, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> You are running something different when you use +trace, which depending on the exact behavior of dig could work 2 out of 5 times, depending on whether dig picks auth*.ns.uu.net or ns*.cdc.gov. That inconsistency is the problem, which is why my example gives the more specific case of querying ns1.cdc.gov to demonstrate that it refuses the query.

As an aside, I would say that if anybody ever feels a need to diagnose a problem with dig +trace, chances are very good that they should stop and use something like Zonemaster instead.

I think actually that it would be a service to the community if dig +trace just said something like that when invoked in an interactive shell.

I'm sure there are people who use dig +trace for good and sound reasons when diagnosing problems but I have yet to meet one.

Joe