[dns-operations] Namecheap fails to ingest existing DS on transfer in

Joe Abley jabley at strandkip.nl
Mon Jul 22 18:25:00 UTC 2024

Hi John,

A domain transfer is a database operation in a registry -- it's supposed to leave the bulk of the existing domain name metadata stored at the registry as-is and just change the sponsoring registrar for the domain. Some of that metadata is used to publish information in the DNS (e.g. NS and DS RRs in a TLD zone). Some is published in other ways (e.g. whois, RDAP) or not at all (e.g. personal data redacted for motivations of privacy). Registrars pull registry data from registries using protocols like EPP (using exactly the EPP protocol if you're talking about gTLD registries and registrars). Although I suppose it's possible for registrars to pull particular metadata that is exposed in the DNS using the DNS instead of EPP, I'm not sure why anybody would want to do that.

>From your description, it sounds like you found an example of metadata for a domain name not being in sync between the registry and the registrar. It doesn't sound like you found something more systemic, e.g. a problem where DS metadata at the registry was not being preserved through transfers in general.

If this is a single data point perhaps it would be more useful to talk directly to Namecheap support about it than to raise it here. If this list contained a report for every single problem with a domain name ever found it would be a very busy list :-)

Joe