[dns-operations] DNSSEC: state of it / italy

John Dickinson jad at sinodun.com
Mon Jul 22 10:58:03 UTC 2024

On 22/07/2024 11:17, A. Schulze wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The TLD .it is signed with Algorithm 10 / RSASHA512.
> (https://dnsviz.net/d/it/Zp348A/dnssec/)
> RFC 8624 say, RSASHA512 is NOT RECOMMENDED. Does anybody know if .it
> will change it's algorithm some day?
>
> Andreas

The table in RFC8624 is about implementation recommendations not which
algorithm you use for signing.

However, I agree that with RSASHA512 is not such a great idea as the RFC
slightly confusingly explains at the bottom of page 5:

   "RSASHA512 is NOT RECOMMENDED for DNSSEC signing because it has not
    seen wide deployment, but there are some deployments; hence, DNSSEC
    validation MUST implement RSASHA512 to ensure interoperability.
    There is no significant difference in cryptographic strength between
    RSASHA512 and RSASHA256; therefore, use of RSASHA512 is discouraged
    as it will only make deprecation of older algorithms harder.  People
    who wish to use a cryptographically stronger algorithm should switch
    to elliptic curve cryptography algorithms."

I would change the first sentence of that to say signers not signing.

While I would encourage .it to switch to Alg. 13, I would be a lot more
worried by the UDP errors flagged by DNSViz.

regards
John
--
John Dickinson Sinodun Internet Technologies Ltd.