[dns-operations] [DNSOP] bind fails to continue recursing on one specific query

Dave Lawrence tale at dd.org
Wed Mar 29 01:18:10 UTC 2023

Peter DeVries via dns-operations writes:
> We almost blocked these because we didn't know what they were but then
> I stumbled upon one of the old RFC drafts for query minimization and
> it does mention this as a technique.

Why would you drop them if you had not stumbled on the old draft?

It is very poor form for nameservers to intentionally not respond to
queries under normal operation.  Now if you were getting hammered by
an unreasonable volume of them that would be another thing.

Another relevant draft:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8906