[dns-operations] Increase in DNS over TCP from Chrome Browser on Windows 11

Yasuhiro Orange Morishita / 森下泰宏 yasuhiro at jprs.co.jp
Wed Mar 15 12:19:40 UTC 2023

Hi,

> Has anyone else seen an increase in DNS over TCP traffic in their
> environment?  We have been seeing a steady increase since late last
> year and have believe we have narrowed down a major cause.  After
> reaching out to the Chromium folks and Cricket Liu reaching out to
> the Microsoft folks it seems that there has been a recent behavior
> change that is incompatible with each other, which is causing DNS
> over TCP to be preferred over UDP.

A few days ago, I saw an issue report from a router vendor that may be
caused by it.  It appears that some CPEs are unable to handle large
amounts of TCP DNS traffic.

Original page, in Japanese:
https://www.aterm.jp/support/tech/2023/0224.html
Google Translation:
https://www-aterm-jp.translate.goog/support/tech/2023/0224.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ja&_x_tr_pto=wapp

> Cricket Liu reach out to the Microsoft folks and found that starting
> with Windows 11, the OS began to use socket caching due to
> exhaustion occurring with UDP ports.  Meaning that DNS UDP port is
> cached when communicating with the same server and any DNS client
> will continue to get the same UDP src-port when connecting to that
> DNS server.

IMHO, this Windows 11 behavior seems to contain security risks...

-- Yasuhiro 'Orange' Morishita <yasuhiro at jprs.co.jp>