[dns-operations] DNS Hackathon 2023

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Wed Mar 1 09:39:40 UTC 2023

Hi Andrew,

On 3/1/23 10:27, Andrew McConachie wrote:

> Is this a competitive hackathon or the kind of thing where like minded
> people get together and work on DNS related code and have fun?

This is purely non-competitive; we prefer cooperation and teamwork (see
Hackathon Format).

> The linked webpage talks about the organizers selecting the “best mix
> and match of skills, backgrounds and experieces.[sic]” Is this intended
> to make participants feel as though they are applying for a position at
> the Hackathon? This concept is new to me.

This format has been done by RIPE NCC many times before and it's a
selection process because of limited amount of seats and to be as
inclusive/diverse as possible, for example "not more than two people
from the same organisation".

> Hackathons come in many shapes and sizes, but the only ones I’ve been to
> were largely unstructured and emphasized collaboration over competition
> and seclectivity. Maybe put some more words on the linked page below
> describing what participants can expect.

Have you looked at the Netnod link?

There like 1700 words describing everything about the hackathon, what do
expect before, during and after the event :)

Cheers,
Jerry