[dns-operations] service.gov.scot erroneous NXDOMAIN from "scot" auth servers

CORE DNS Support Team dnsmaster at corenic.org
Tue Jun 20 11:36:10 UTC 2023

On 20.06.23 04:42, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> The gov.scot zone is unsigned, with "service.gov.scot" as a subdomain,
> but "DS" queries for "service.gov.scot" incorrectly elicit NXDOMAIN,
> rather than NODATA responses from the "scot" auth servers.
>
>      $ dig -t ds service.gov.scot @anycast9.irondns.net +norecur +nocmd +noall +nostats +comment +noedns
>      ;; Got answer:
>      ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 22729
>      ;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

Hi Viktor,

thanks for bringing this to our attention. The answer is indeed not
correct. We will investigate the problem and fix it in the next days.
However, since anycast9 is only responsible for scot and not for
gov.scot, I believe the desired answer is a delegation to the name
servers of gov.scot, and not, as you wrote, a "NODATA" response. But I
will check this to be sure.

Regards,
Klaus

--

        dnsmaster at corenic.org    Klaus Malorny
                                 Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
                                 obo. CORE Internet Council of Registrars