[dns-operations] "off label" use of PTR records for fanout

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Thu Jun 15 20:05:50 UTC 2023

Hello,

I'm using DNS to retrieve some distributed telemetry data from multiple
servers. To facilitate this I have an FQDN which resolves to a set of
PTR records. If there's a generally accepted better option, let me know.

If you just want to bike shed this fine, I invite you to email me
directly as I think this is already tangential to the purpose of this list.

Thank you for understanding...

--

Fred Morris

--

(Are you still reading?)

I'm basically using PTR records like CNAME, but with the semantics "try
all of these". The normal semantics of DNS resolution have the objective
of finding "the one (best) answer from the (best) server"
notwithstanding that the answer may consist of multiple answers,
presuming in a panglossian fashion that the first answer we get is the
best one for us at this point in time. Can't use CNAME because the DNS
builds semantics around it which would interfere the semantics here. I
presume the same accrues to e.g. SRV records. It just isn't expecting us
to try them all as a matter of course.