[dns-operations] New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Jun 3 23:39:41 UTC 2023

With QNAME minimisation and DNSSEC it does not matter about what the root servers return for the addresses of the root servers.  You get referrals to TLDs or validatible NXDOMAIN.   We have added techniques to lookups that mean that root servers are no longer a point where you can inject bad DATA and have it be accepted.

If the recursive server is not using QNAME minimisation, DNS COOKIES and DNSSEC validation then it is unsafe to use.  All three of these are security fixes added to the DNS protocol and should be in use everywhere.

--
Mark Andrews