[dns-operations] New addresses for b.root-servers.net

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Jun 3 20:58:57 UTC 2023

On 6/2/23 11:07 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:

>> On 3. 6. 2023, at 7:38, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
>>
>> BIND does not "prime itself." That would be impossible. It has a compiled-in version of root hints that it falls back on if it cannot find one on the file system.
>
> In fact it does (as do most other resolvers), the priming is a process where an initial query is sent to the root server address taken from the root.hints file and the resolver caches the current root NS answer and additional sections. Whether it takes the root.hints from configured file or compiled-in defaults is only tangential to the priming process.

Yes, I know how priming works.

The point I was making is that even in the manufactured scenario that
was discussed by Dave there is still a source for root hints. The fact
that he commented out the clause in the config doesn't mean that the
server "primed itself" without relying on a root hints file. It means
that it issued a query to one of the servers on its compiled-in list to
update/confirm that data that it already knew.

The reason that it's important to understand the details here is that
without knowledge of the actual process people tend to make poorly
informed decisions which rely on "magic" which doesn't actually exist.

Doug