[dns-operations] Invalid delegation for "cloud.huawai.com"

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jun 2 20:01:44 UTC 2023

No, it is not delegated properly. There is a referral NS RRset but unless there is a zone configured for that name on the targeted servers the delegation is broken.

If named accepted the incorrect SOA record in the negative response it could then learn that there is no NS RRset at cloud.Huawei.com and lookups would return NXDOMAIN intermittently.

Broken delegations do no one a favour. Papering over them does not help in the end. This should take about 10 minutes to fix as it just requires using the correct name for the zone on those three servers.  Additionally if DNSSEC is ever turned on for that zone they will need to fix it to get the DNSKEY records published. I presume all vendors reject attempts to load zones with DNSKEY RRsets not at the apex.

--
Mark Andrews