[dns-operations] Resolvers seeing repeated bursts of identical queries

Roy Arends roy at dnss.ec
Mon Jan 9 13:55:29 UTC 2023

I’ve often seen this behaviour.

One confirmed explanation was (but there may be more/other) that this is the result of a stateful firewall. While the rules are pushed, traffic through it is buffereduntil the last rule is pushed, after which the buffer is flushed to world, resulting in a barrage of queries from the resolver behind the firewall. It depends on the resolver what happens with the ID. Some will re-issue the query after no response, some re-issue with new ID.

I never got confirmation of the firewall make. This was about 8 years ago.

Roy