[dns-operations] Trouble with qa.ws.igt.fiscal.treasury.gov

Scott Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:02:02 UTC 2022

There's a validated insecure delegation from treasury.gov to
fiscal.treasury.gov.

I can't say why any RRSIGs or other DNSSEC records are being returned for
queries for records in fiscal.treasury.gov, however those records are
spurious. As DNSVIZ does show, the delegation from the last secure zone,
treasury.gov, to fiscal.treasury.gov is insecure. And thus the subsequent
delegation from fiscal.treasury.gov to igt.fiscal.treasury.gov is also
insecure. Once the chain of trust is properly broken and the status moves
to insecure, everything below that point is also insecure.

DNSVIZ is attempting to make some sense of the spurious DNSSEC records and
show what the state would be if there weren't an insecure delegation at
treasury.gov. Or at least that's my guess at what it's doing.

I haven't found any public resolver or other implemented validator that
doesn't properly validate qa.ws.igt.fiscal.treasury.gov as insecure.

Scott