[dns-operations] PTR Records for Broadband Network?

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Nov 23 13:42:36 UTC 2022

Greg

>From my understanding some of these companies assume that ALL our IP blocks are used for hosting and that traffic from them is from VPNs or is in some way illegitimate.
We have tried repeatedly to engage with the various companies, but a lot of them don’t have a public contact for their network or security team, so our clients end up having to deal with their first level customer service teams. In the case of Disney+, for example, their CS team can resolve the issue on a per IP basis, but that obviously does not scale. Netflix does seem to be responsive thankfully, but others like Ticketmaster and All4 are a black box.
We honestly do not know what it is that they are looking for. In the description field for our broadband IPs we try to make it clear that they’re being used for broaband and not hosting:

inetnum:        185.97.236.0 - 185.97.236.255
netname:        BLACKNIGHT-BROADBAND
descr:          Broadband Customers

So we are trying to tweak what we can tweak ie. That which we control in the hope that it has some impact.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon