[dns-operations] [Ext] How should work name resolution on a modern system?

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Jun 16 02:08:26 UTC 2022

It is my firm belief that the collapse of the crypto-ponzi world and the
$45 name coins is an essential precondition for anything useful to happen
in this space. It is possibly fortuitous that this appears to be underway
as we speak.

One reason we are where we are is that UNIX doesn't actually have a DNS
interface, it has a name service API that predates DNS which has been
repurposed. So very little of the power of DNS is actually visible to the
application. Unless you write your own DNS resolution API and that has
other issues.

Use of .local is a kludge.

Proposing something better is easy. Been there, done that, have running
code. Deployment is the hard part.