[dns-operations] Input from dns-operations on NCAP proposal

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jun 3 22:17:31 UTC 2022

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022, John Levine wrote:
>> In such a configuration, if the host name "foo" matches the candidate TLD
>> "foo", and the latter is changed from NXDOMAIN ...

> Do we have any idea how many systems still use search lists?  We've been saying
> bad things about them at least since .CS was added in 1991.

It occurs to me there is another way to look at this.  There are already
1487 delegated TLDs, and I doubt anyone could name more than a small
fraction of them.  If this increases the number of names that will break
search lists from 1487 to 1488, how much of a problem is this likely to be
in practice, which leads back to ...

> It seems to me that the risk depends a lot more on what the name is rather
> than the particular DNS response.  If it's OEMDMCEKCSN. I doubt anyone will
> notice, but if it's MAIL., watch out.

Regards,