[dns-operations] Input from dns-operations on NCAP proposal

Brian Dickson brian.peter.dickson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 23:00:18 UTC 2022

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 7:00 AM Thomas, Matthew via dns-operations <
dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:

> [...]

I think I understand the problems that NCAP is trying to solve, but want to
be sure that understanding is correct.

   - NCAP do not have (real-time and) continuous access to all of the root
   servers' query/response data, and need some other way to identify queries
   that currently result in NXDOMAIN responses, for specific TLDs prior to
   delegation
   - Due to QNAME minimization, the root servers would in many/most cases
   not see the full name for which the resolver is attempting resolution
   - NCAP would like to ensure it is safe to delegate a candidate TLD, on
   the basis of query data for that TLD prior to delegation.
   - NCAP would like to operate some sort of server that would receive DNS
   queries for such candidate TLD(s)
   - NCAP would like to not cause "no error" responses to any query at or
   below the candidate TLD(s) to be sent by their server. In other words,
   either directly or indirectly, the resolvers should send an NXDOMAIN for
   the candidate TLD as a result of the answers sent by NCAP

At any node in the DNS tree, currently, there are (to the best of my
knowledge) five possible DNS record type sets that can exist at that node:

   1. An ENT (empty non-terminal): an implicit node which exists only
   because of the existence of a descendant node (one of the other four types
   beneath the ENT in the DNS tree). An ENT by definition can never be a
   "leaf" node of the DNS tree
   2. A zone cut, aka delegation point, consisting of a non-apex NS RRSET
   (and if the zone is signed, the NS would NOT have an RRSIG, and would also
   have optionally DS RRSET, an RRSIG over the DS, and either an NSEC record
   plus its RRSIG or an NSEC3 record without an opt-out condition and its
   RRSIG.)
   3. A DNAME record (redirecting clients to another branch of the DNS tree
   for names that would have been beneath the owner of the DNAME record in the
   DNS tree)
   4. A CNAME record (redirecting clients to another node of the DNS tree
   for only the exact name match and applicable to all query RRTYPEs).
   5. Any other combinations of RRTYPEs.

NB: only ONE of those 5 types is allowed to exist at a given node in the
DNS tree; the NS RRTYPE exists on both sides of a zone cut, and on the
child side would be at the "apex" of the zone, and classified as type 5
(Any other combination). The apex of a zone is REQUIRED to have NS and SOA
records, of course.

Of these 5, only ONE can ever result in an NXDOMAIN response to a query for
the node itself, and only under specific circumstances -- the CNAME.
(A "lame" delegation due to a zone cut, would not result in NXDOMAIN, but
could result in REFUSED, SERVFAIL, or even a no-data, no-error referral
upwards.)

Here is the circumstance where a CNAME would result in an NXDOMAIN:
If the target (right-hand side) of a CNAME is itself a CNAME, and that
CNAME's target cannot be resolved, the response to a client would be an
NXDOMAIN, with the answer section consisting of the chain of CNAME records.
Other names beneath the CNAME

Deliberately setting up the following should allow a candidate TLD to be
configured so that queries for exactly the name of the TLD to be observed
(and result in NXDOMAIN answers from the resolver), and would leave
unaffected the children of the candidate TLD.

   - Establish a regular DNS server which serves some particular zone (e.g.
   ncap.example.net).
   - Add a CNAME record in that zone, for purposes of causing an NXDOMAIN
   result. This could be a non-existent name within the same zone -- this
   would be the recommended approach for the CNAME target.
      - deliberately-broken-cname.ncap.example.net CNAME
      does-not-exist.ncap.example.net.
   - In the root zone, add a CNAME record for the candidate TLD pointing to
   the owner name of the above CNAME.
      - candidate-tld. CNAME deliberately-broken-cname.ncap.example.net.
   - Configure appropriate monitoring to observe queries for
   deliberately-broken-cname.ncap.example.net on the DNS server
   - Configure the TTL of the in-zone CNAME record to cause re-queries from
   resolvers, to estimate query volume

Additional child record CNAMEs could be added with the same or similar
target(s).

   - Each CNAME would be added to the root zone, since there is no
   delegation involved.
      - e.g. common-name.candidate-tld. CNAME
      some-other-target-that-is-cnamed-to-nxdomain.ncap.example.net.

It would also be possible to add a wildcard CNAME below any FQDN, which
would match any descendant of the FQDN for which no existing name was
present in the zone. (Details of wildcard matching are omitted for brevity.)

   - e.g *.candidate-tld. CNAME
   wildcard-target-that-is-cnamee-to-nxdomain.ncap.example.net.

It would be advisable to do this first, before any consideration of doing
option 3.
None of the other options is advisable.

Brian Dickson

P.S. This solution can be tested and validated relatively easily, as it
only involves normal, standard DNS server(s) and supported record types.
P.P.S. Of course, you would need to supply your own real domain name
anywhere in the above that "example.net" appears.