[dns-operations] You live in a dump, Quoyle!

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Mon Feb 14 17:48:09 UTC 2022

I looked at your project. I starred it. :-) With no intended irony, I say
that your project appears much more ambitious than mine: I base that on
the work you put into "fixing", for lack of a better word, the DNS
(walking delegations, etc.).

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022, Mark Delany wrote:
>> https://github.com/m3047/rear_view_rpz
>
> I do not completely understand what's going on here, but it *looks* like you're populating
> the local cache with reverse entries for remote addresses and that those reverse entries
> are synthesized from A/AAAA queries discovered via dnstap.

Yes, practically speaking. Technically I am populating a zone, however
technically this zone is not a properly delegated reverse lookup zone but
intended to be utilized as an RPZ... but not as a "ban hammer", but rather
as a source of information.

> [...]
> Interesting but quite a different problem from the one I'm trying to solve which is to
> make it trivially easy to auto-serve reverse answers and automagically satisfy reverse,
> forward, reverse comparisons for your own networks.

[...own networks] as seen by others.

I think our (more or less) declared project objectives make it clear the
problems we're trying to solve:

* meeting the requirements of many remote services which insist on
   matching forward and reverse names

versus

* PTR responses enhanced with local knowledge

There are a gamut of opinions about reverse DNS PTR records, and probably
just as many opinions about how we should reclaim it and why. I certainly
see Conway's organizational principles in play in the role of PTR records
as a shear layer.

They're full (the DNS is full) of patterns and antipatterns. One fractal
rabbit hole example: [0]

My myth of the origin of PTR records is that "in the beginning.." there
was felt to be a need for the operators of systems tribe as opposed to the
administrators of systems to tell us things about those systems, but that
the administrators found that it was a Good Thing and it's been this way
ever since. [1]

PTR records have always been a way to answer questions for somebody,
although I dare say if you wildcarded an entire block of addresses as
PTR mail.example.com no spam filter would notice.

It's no longer IMO primarily useful for the system operators... as in the
operators of those systems. As the operator of a communicating system I
feel like I'm next in line to decide what's useful to me. The toolmakers
agree with me: traceroute, arp, iptables all default to doing reverse
lookups (-n to turn it off): people desperately, subconscously, with the
fibre and satellites of their being, want it to be so, to be useful.

No moral to the story, just that there's a story to PTR records.

--

Fred Morris

--

[0] The DNS protocol allows multiple rvalues per type per oname. This
works ok for e.g. A/AAAA, is disallowed for CNAME, and is... I'm not sure

[1] At this point it has been codified by the administrative tribe in the
"security by obscurity" principle that reverse lookups shouldn't reveal
useful information... possibly the original sin of (Kelly Shortridge's)
DevSecObs?