[dns-operations] .in ccTLD 2-level public suffixes

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Sat Aug 27 20:21:37 UTC 2022

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 04:00:01PM -0400, John Levine wrote:

> It appears that Viktor Dukhovni <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> said:
> >But also some that appear to just mirror other ccTLDs without an obvious
> >connection to a category of child domains (com, edu, gov, net, org, ...):
> >
> >    ai.in am.in ca.in cn.in er.in io.in me.in pg.in tv.in uk.in us.in
> >
> >What are these for?  I'm afraid  these may create or add to user confusion.
>
> The registry web site says since 2005 they've been available for
> anyone to register anything. The 2LDs that limit who can register are
> ac.in res.in edu.in gov.in mil.in.
>
> https://registry.in/policies

Thanks, that confirms and details their availability as public suffixes.

These suffixes were specifically provisioned (and are not themselves
delegated, they are included directly in the .in zone) by the .IN ccTLD,
and I am curious whether the intent was specifically to "mirror"
similarly named ccTLDs (and if so, why), or whether perhaps these
2-letter abbreviations have some other significance in India...

--
    Viktor.