[dns-operations] [Ext] Browser Public suffixes list

Gaurav Kansal gaurav.kansal at nic.in
Sat Aug 27 04:03:32 UTC 2022

> On 27-Aug-2022, at 04:18, paul.hoffman at icann.org wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2022, at 2:43 PM, Meir Kraushar via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:
>> So bottom line, browser behavior is not based on DNS resolving, nor by any IANA list, but rather on the PSL.
>
> This is interesting info, thanks! The PSL is used by browsers for things like preventing cross-site scripting, but should not be relied on for "is it really a TLD". For that, IANA has many tools, including <https://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt>. There's also, you know, the DNS itself....

Nearly all of the TLDs have second level suffixes (like gov.in, co.in and various others) which are used as special names, and zones are further delegated from these suffixes. Merely depending on IANA’s TLDs list will not be enough for Browsers or for anyone who want info about this (like Registrars, CAs etc..).. so PSL is must at least for browsers and CAs.
Recently, Jothan, who is maintaining PSL list, has helped me in updating our records in PSL.

Regards
Gaurav Kansal