[dns-operations] [dnsext] BlackHat Presentation on DNSSEC Downgrade attack

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Fri Aug 12 02:31:04 UTC 2022

Looks like the 'downgrade attack' is actually a consequence of the fact
that support for multiple algorithms means that you end up with the
security of the weakest. So not really an 'attack' but a consequence of the
design approach not considering the downgrade issue worth addressing
because people should not be signing under multiple algorithms for very
long.

But given that, I think we are long past the time when anyone is doing
anything of the slightest value signing with SHA-1. There is no reason to
pick SHA-1 over SHA-2. You are not going to improve interop, you are much
more likely to harm it. So moving SHA-1 to MUST NOT seems like the way to
go.