[dns-operations] slack.com bogus

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Sep 30 21:51:33 UTC 2021

Paul Ebersman wrote on 2021-09-30 14:30:

> NTAs in production use aren't even vaguely new. They've been in wide use
> for 8-10 years that I'm aware of. They are part of why folks like
> google, cloudflare, comcast et al are willing to do DNSSEC validation in
> production.

i know that. i just don't like it. without backpressure, sloppiness will
normalize. (always.)

> Doing it automatically is bad, as per RFC 7646, but it is a valid
> response if it's a large site and mistake rather than malicious.

when considering only one's own ring queue / ticket queue, that's
certainly so.

i hope that there's a long enough long tail on NTA deployment that the
cost of getting one's keys or signatures mixed up is still horrific. i
don't know how to measure that.

vixie

--
Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>