[dns-operations] Oddness with Cloudfare authoritative servers

Adam David adam.vallee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 23:16:59 UTC 2021

This does not seem to be a DNS resolution/misconfiguration issue on
Cloudflare's end.

https://172.64.80.1/ provides an error message (as it should) indicating it
is a CloudFlare IP. If you can't see that in a web browser, then the issue
is local to your network.

The main causes that I gather would be:

1. There was a temporary cache propagation issue on CF's network. (Still
not a DNS issue.)
2. Your IT department is using 172.0.0.0/9 or possibly even 172.0.0.0/8
where they intended to use 172.16.0.0/12 (RFC1918 IP space). This would
block access to the netblock belonging to Cloudflare and you would have
difficulty accessing thousands of websites.
                                 Side Note: 172.64.0.0/13 belongs
to AS13335.

You should always start with your IT department.
If you are a Cloudflare customer, contact them directly.
If you are a DeltaMath customer, then you need to contact them directly.

Sincerely,

Adam Vallee