[dns-operations] .NL and 1024-bit RSA ZSKs.

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Fri Oct 8 17:51:34 UTC 2021

> On 8 Oct 2021, at 1:12 pm, Puneet Sood via dns-operations <dns-operations at dns-oarc.net> wrote:
>
> This is another case where NSEC3 opt-out interferes with effective
> NSEC{3} response caching which would reduce queries to the TLD.

Speaking of the .NL zone DNSSEC parameters, the ZSK is 1024-bit RSA,
and .NL is the largest zone (by signed delegation count) with RSA
keys less than 1280 bits.

The .COM TLD uses 1280-bit RSA ZSKs, while .BR, .CZ, .CH, .FR and .DK
all use ECDSA P256.

The next batch of TLDs with 1024-bit RSA ZSKs are .EU, .NO, .BE and .ORG.

While we don't have compelling evidence that 1024-bit RSA DNSKEYs,
rotated sufficiently often are at a realistic risk of brute-force
cryptanalytic attacks, the broader cryptographic community has
left 1024-bit RSA behind, and we now have better options:

  * 1280-bit RSA is practical and improves the safety margin
  * P256 has been successfully adopted by 45 TLDs and has
    near universal resolver support, on par with RSA.

So I'd like to suggest that .NL consider either a stronger ZSK,
or an algorithm rollover.

Not all is stuck in the past, over the last ~1 year, the use of
algorithm 7 has dropped from a peak of ~2.2 million zones to
just ~350k zones and lately continuing to fall ~10k/day.

So progress is possible, it just does not happen on all fronts
at the same time.

For those not yet caught up on last-night's OARC "Town Square"
Mattermost channel, it would be good to have auth operators
look more closely at their use of RSA and as needed move to a
set of best-practice key algorithms/sizes.

	RSA: 2048-bit KSK, 1280 or 1536-bit ZSK
	P256: Fortunately no further tunables

The only potential tweak in ECDSA is whether signatures use
a random nonce, or a deterministic variant that derives the
nonce from the message:

	https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6979

Deterministic ECDSA signing should be well suited for
zone signing when the software stack supports it, and
can be more performant if the RNG is a bottleneck.

[ I don't know which HSMs, if any, support deterministic
  ECDSA signing. ]

--
	Viktor.