[dns-operations] Lot's of TXT queries from Google

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Thu Oct 7 15:20:01 UTC 2021

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 02:53:36PM +0000, Wessels, Duane via dns-operations wrote:

> I can't explain the TXT queries, but the NS queries seem to be
> Google's method of doing qname minimization, with an added nonce
> value.  See https://indico.dns-oarc.net/event/39/contributions/864/
> and
> https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/security?hl=en#nonce_prefixes

The odd thing is though that queries with Google's nonce labels to .NL
would be expected to have the appended label after some desired 2LD:

    nonce.extant-2ld.nl

I would not expect Google to append 2LD rather than 3LD nonces in
queries to the .NL auth servers, those elicit NXDOMAIN, rather than the
desired nonce-salted referrals.

--
    Viktor.