[dns-operations] K-root in CN leaking outside of CN

Magnus Sandberg mem at fallback.netnod.se
Tue Nov 9 08:31:58 UTC 2021

Hi all,

This comment is my personal views and has nothing to do with Netnod or
I-root.

My take is that the Great Firewall is a complex thing that acts
different depending on situation or protocol in use.

For DNS/port 53 I see the GFW more as an IDS (Intrusion Detection
System) listening on traffic and acting in ways we only see the result
of from time to time. The IDS thing can be anywhere in the network, at
the borders (probably not), at core locations at ISP networks or close
to the eyeballs.

For other protocols, like SSH or your favorite VPN, the GFW probably
acts more as a classic "brick" firewall with an inside and outside
interface.

If the GFW do things with BGP, I don't know.

So, I don't see the Great Firewall as firewall as the word let us think.
I see it as a complex system made of many different parts and sometimes
we notice it when the "impersonation" affects the wrong "audience".

As of this complexity (both on general network level and the GFW), I
don't think of local DNS root instances in the way that an instance can
be "country local".
I don't see Internet routing and BGP as a binary thing at network level.
Of cause the routing decision in a single router has to be "binary" to
select next-hop, but on a larger scale you can't predict exact what will
happen with your outgoing packets, as Liman wrote.

Regards,
// mem