[dns-operations] [Ext] K-root in CN leaking outside of CN

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Sat Nov 6 20:25:52 UTC 2021

On Nov 6, 2021, at 10:59 AM, Manu Bretelle <chantr4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, agreed, "kind of" is probably not the right term to use. I essentially did not care in this specific example of any impersonation which is why I added "but I will not focus on the ones returning the correct answer (e.g 185.89.219.12)".

I usually try to not speak for other people, but *many* of us on this list care very much about the difference between a route leak for a root server instance and a harmful impersonation. Today's widespread use of anycast by root servers makes route leaks almost insignificant; given the low rate of DNSSEC validation, any impersonation can be quite important.

--Paul Hoffman