[dns-operations] Verisign won't delete obsolete glue records?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Mar 4 17:24:54 UTC 2021

Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

> The disadvantage of a nameserver-attribute arrangement is that, if the
> domain in question gets deleted, there isn't really a way within EPP
> to refuse that, because there's no necessary relationship between the
> nameserver attributes (they're just attributes, after all) and the
> domain object that is being removed.  So there's a greater opportunity
> to create lame delegations.

But that check doesn't work for delegations that span mutiple registries.
If gratisdns.dk disappears there's nothing nic.at can do about the
now-lame nameserver attributes on dotat.at.

And there were earlier discussions in this thread about how registrars can
force delegations to go lame so that they can cancel a deadbeat customer's
domain.

(Yeah, I'm kind of grumpy about EPP host objects. I can't just write an
API client that says, make my domain's delegation look like this. The
combination of inter-object dependencies and asynchronous updates makes
for a ridiculously complicated state machine that has to poll waiting for
changes to take effect. Yuck.)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Fair Isle: Northerly or northeasterly backing northwesterly 3 to 5,