[dns-operations] Verisign won't delete obsolete glue records?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Mar 4 16:15:42 UTC 2021

Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

> [1] There is a mode of EPP in which nameservers are properties of domain
> objects instead of first-class objects that are associated, but AFAIK anyone
> who thought that was a good idea gave it up.  If you renumber a host in such a
> case you have to update every associated domain, and there isn't really a way
> to look it up.

As far as I know, registries that don't have separate host objects require
glue in fewer situations than Verisign-style registries.

For example, if I change the delegation for dotat.at to include
ns.example.at, I don't provide an IP address for ns.example.at because it
doesn't belong to me, and the owner of example.at would not be able to
keep my copy of the address of ns.example.at correct.

If the address of ns.example.at changes, only the example.at domain object
needs to change, and only if it uses ns.example.at as a nameserver.
There's no need (and no possibility) to update every other domain that
uses ns.example.at.

Domain-only registries in effect only require glue addresses that the DNS
needs to work, whereas domain+host registries demand more glue addresses
than they need. From my perspective as a registrant domain-only registries
seem to be a lot less troublesome, since my delegation management tools
can work purely one domain at a time, without having to be concerned with
cross-domain host object dependencies.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Northeast Fitzroy, Sole: Easterly or southeasterly 3 to 5. Moderate,